Monday 20 April 2009

20 April - Historical Events and Special Celebration



Flower of the Month


Sweet Pea


Gemstone of the Month: Diamond


First of all Nomanda would like to thank all our new readers! We have been getting more and more of you every day and we really appreciate you! If you are enjoying Nomanda’s blog please pass it on to your friends. And if you would like to make a comment or get your own special mention on your own special day just send us the details through the comments section and we’ll make sure we don’t forget you!

Nomanda’s Happy Special Day blog is a celebration of events and anniversaries that have touched our lives. If today is your special day join us in looking at a few other events that have occurred on your day. Enjoy!



Not content with spoiling the great British drink of tea in 1773 when the American colonials threw tons of the stuff into Boston harbour, the New England Militiamen chose this day in 1775 to begin the siege of Boston that effectively heralded the start of the American Revolution.




Especially for our Belgian fans it’s worthy of note that the 7th modern Olympic Games opened in one of our favourite cities, Antwerp, on this day in 1920. As far as I know they’ve never been back.




Today in 1976 George Harrison decided to come out of his closet and sang the “Lumberjack” song along with the cast of Monty Python. Good on you, George! Does anyone know the words? Ok I’ll start you off,

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night. I work all day.

Mounties : He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.


Mounties: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay.
I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.

I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

Mounties : He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay.
I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.

I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Mama (or Papa in later versions)


Mounties : He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?!

Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay.
I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.

Yes, I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) ok-a-y.
I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.


OK. You’ve got the whole song now and can whistle, hum and sing it all day!



Another singer and performer with a reputation for fancy dressing, Madonna, celebrated this day in 1992 when she signed a $60 million deal with Time Warner We love you Madonna and you’re worth every penny.



In a remarkable feat of digestion I am reliably informed that Uranus passed Neptune on this day in 1993! However I’m also informed that it only happens every 171 years so plenty of time to recover from the job, then!



We’re a bit short on birthday honours today but if it’s your birthday or special day we send you our very best wishes!



Sharing this day with you today in 1907 is Alan Reed who is famously renowned for his voice of Fred Flintstone! Zabadabadoo! I bet you didn’t know that.



Also born on this day in 1972 was Carmen Electra. Again probably not that well known but when I tell you that she was one of Prince’s dancing girls and made regular appearances on “Baywatch” you’ll understand why she’s worthy of mention. I believe that “Joey” from Friends never missed an episode of “Baywatch”.



If you know someone who is celebrating their birthday, anniversary or a special day today or sometime soon why not send them a nice e-card so they get it as soon as they log on! Even better, why not send this page to your friend!
Don’t know what to get for a present? Think about what your special person enjoys doing and the things they like.


For Girls, I know that flowers and chocolates are a bit cliché but nevertheless they always seem to work! Of course, if your budget stretches that far, jewellery, watches, perfume and fashion items are always appreciated!

For Boys, all boys like toys! It’s just as they get older the toys get more expensive. So gadgets and gimmicky things work. Again, if you have the budget then car accessories, sporting equipment and clothes, and man type jewellery like watches and gold chains will go down very well!

And, if all else fails, you could always send them a gift voucher and they can choose whatever they want!

If you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary or other special event today I hope you got lots of cards and presents and that there is someone special in your life who will make this day a very happy and special day for you.



Happy celebrations to you from the Happy Special Day Blog!!


Digg this

No comments: